"Education is the most powerful weapon we can use to change the world." -Nelson Mandela
As a prospective foster family, you are required to attend 30 hours of Pre-Service Training provided by the Collaborative Foster Care Program.
The Collaborative Foster Care Program will provide you with 30 hours of required CORE Training prior to certification. Training series are 5 weeks long, two nights per week (Tuesday and Thursday), from 6 to 9 p.m. We have training series scheduled throughout the year.
Our training will strengthen your ability to care for youth who have experienced significant trauma. The better prepared you are to handle challenging behaviors, mental health, or special needs, the more stability you will be able to provide for youth in foster care. Training topics include trauma, cultural needs, impacts of abuse, child development, attachment, grief and loss, discipline techniques, reunification, preparing for placement, and the importance of a support team.
Pre-Service Training Dates for 2020
- Series 1: January 7 to February 6 in Aurora
- Series 2: January 21 to February 20 in Golden
- Series 3: March 3 to April 2 in Highlands Ranch
- Series 4: March 31 to April 30 in Aurora
- Series 5: May 5 to June 4 in Golden
- Series 6: June 2 to July 2 in Highlands Ranch
- Series 7: July 7 to August 6 in Aurora
- Series 8: August 25 to September 24 in Golden
- Series 9: September 29 to October 29 in Highlands Ranch
- Series 10: October 20 to November 19 in Littleton
Note: Dinner is provided for pre-service training. Child care is not provided; please make arrangements if necessary. You will receive information in class on registering for a CPR class through Front Range CPR. This particular class is optional, although being Child, Infant, and Adult CPR and First Aid Certified is a mandatory requirement to becoming a certified foster family. You are required to pay a small fee (approx. $60) for this class and it is paid directly to Front Range CPR.
Attendance at Information Night and a completed pre-application packet and meeting are required before you may register to attend training. After attending Information Night, click here to access the Binti online portal, which will walk you through how to apply to become a certified caregiver.